Notices 9th September
10:30am Holy Communion Service
led by Rev'd Katie Leonowicz
incl. Junior Church & Crèche
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Gordon - Dear friends, on behalf of Gordon, we would like to thank you for all your kind thoughts and good wishes on his 90th birthday. We do believe he enjoyed the day! With our thanks to you all. Wendy, Anna and myself Margaret T.
Methodist Prayer Handbook - If you would like a copy of the new 2018/2019 edition, entitled ‘A World Transformed’ please let Rev’d Katie know by end of today, Sunday 9th September. The Prayer Handbook will cost £3.95.
Ladies' Guild A.G.M. - on Tuesday 11th September at 2:00pm. Subscriptions are due. Sue and Pat.
Worship Committee Meeting - on Tuesday 18th September at 7:30pm. Committee members, please note change of date. John G.
The Churches Together Fun Day in Hillsborough Park is on Saturday 22nd September 1:00pm-4:00pm. As in the past, all churches have been asked to provide cakes and offer assistance in various tasks, especially putting up and dismantling gazebos. If you are able to offer a cake or assist in any way, please sign the sheet in the vestibule. If you are not able to help, please come along anyway to join the fun and enjoy the entertainment. In addition, if you know of anyone who may be willing to loan a van to transport tables etc from Sacred Heart Church to the park please speak to Margaret P. Many thanks.
Pat & Trevor are celebrating their Diamond wedding anniversary on Saturday 29th September by serving afternoon tea at 4:00pm. If you would like to join them, please sign the list in the porch. No presents please, but any donations will be gratefully received and given to charities of our choice.
Holy Habit Homework - September - This isn’t really homework, but an opportunity to continue reflecting on your own or with others on the habit of prayer. Questions to ponder:
• How and where do you pray?
• Do you do anything special with your hands or eyes?
• What words do you use?
• Does it matter what sort of things we pray about?
Bible passages to reflect on: What do these reflect about prayer? Samuel 1: 1-20 – The Birth of Samuel, Mark 1: 29-38 – Jesus Heals and Prays, Romans 8:26-27 – The Spirit and Prayer.
Holy Habit opportunities this month to explore prayer with others:
Sunday 9th September – 10:30am Holy Communion Service
Monday 10th September – 7:30pm Bible Study on the Psalms
Friday 21st September – 7:30pm ‘Reel’ Life Film Evening Bruce Almighty
Sunday 30th September – 10:30am Harvest Variety Church / 6:15pm Table Talk Communion Service
• Books: Chasing Francis by Ian Morgan Cron (Theology meets storybook about pilgrimage) and the Methodist Prayer Handbook (copies £3.95 from Katie). This month Katie will be reading ‘Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God’ by Timothy Keller, if you want to join her.
• Films: Bruce Almighty, 12 Years a Slave and The Way. (Katie owns all of these if you want to borrow them).
• Website: https://www.northumbriacommunity.org/offices/how-to-use-daily-office/ The Northumbria Community daily prayer liturgies. Katie uses these on her phone whilst on her daily travels when needing to stop and pray.